Thursday 28 June 2012

Sponge Cakes... To Ice Or Not To Ice? THAT is the question!

In the quest to create the wedding of my dreams on a budget it isn't often that you cut costs accidentally... but I can confirm, it has happened! 
I am the first to admit, I hate icing. Texture, taste, the way it stays edible for so long....?? EURGH. Therefore being the bossy bride that I am, we were never going to have an iced wedding cake. So what was the alternative? 


A traditional sponge may sound boring but just take a look at how beautiful these are.. 

picture from Wedding magazine
Vintage and Cake 

Tempting Cake Blog 

The Wedding Community 

No icing apparently doesn't mean no fun!

Turns out.. this option is actually quite a bit cheaper too. We budgeted £300 for our cake... and were quoted and amazing £165 for a 4 tier vanilla sponge with black-currant jam and cream. I particularly like the fact that Kimmy is using the local grocer for seasonal fruit so we have the added 'feel good factor' knowing that we are supporting local business. We now also have the extra cash to create the 'dessert table' that I really wanted.. but couldn't afford. No icing means less labour ... I knew I wasn't destined for an iced option!

We are using my favorite cake shop,  Kimmy Loves Cake in Bewdley (Near Kidderminster) but I am sure that if you have a cake maker in mind already, they would be happy to create something like this for you. 

ATTENTION THOSE ON A TIGHT BUDGET.  This is such an easy option if fancy yourself as a big of a whiz in the kitchen, or even better - you have friends or family who are! A simple sponge can be decorated to fit you colour or design theme and saves a few pennies at the same time. Winner :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment